We believe that the urban garden is one of the solutions in the face of rising cost of living. By applying permaculture principles in the design and lifestyle, we seek to maximize onsite resources to meet most of our needs with minimal impact on the land.

Wednesday, 18 April 2007

Chicken pox #2

On the second evening, the itchness got very unbearable. A hot bath with boiled up in a muslin cloth made a perfect hot bath sponge. In this case, it was the warm rolled oats milk coming through the museli cloth. It was very gentle on the skin and on the "poxes". As long as I was in the bath, the itchness went away. The skin felt absolutely soft after the bathHowever, I did discovered that more red dots started appearing after the hot bath; it could be a coincidence!!!

The itchness came back a few hours later. It took quite an amount of endurance to resist scratch as the night progressed, finally at 4am in the morning,my darling husband was landed with the task of dabbing calamine lotion all over my spotted body. The spots are mostly on my back. Much to my disappointment, the calamine lotion didn't do much to ease the itchness but I did fall asleep for a few hours. In my sleep, all I could think about was what would ease the itchness? Suddenly I remembered witnessing a friend dabbing vinegar on a bee stings on his face, and it stopped the itchness and swelling. You guess it right, no time was wasted, I jumped out of bed (literally), poured some white vinegar into a small cup, and wet the cotton bud with the vinegar and dabbed it on all itchy spots, I dabbed on all spots repetitively until the itchness went away....it really works!! :-)I've also noticed that the spots with blisters this morning (8am) are now (12:35pm) starting to dry up....I continously apply vinegar on any spot that is calling out for attention

My most devoted husband has been preparing vegetable juices for us since that first day of getting the pox! And he has been most generous with the garlic to keep any baterial and virus and friends, at bay, if the pox didn't do the trick!! This juice give my body a really good boost and keeps the immune system going strong to fight this attackquickly and efficiently. Getting the pox as an adult, I could be in danger of getting shingles with a compromised immune system.

On top of that, I've abstained from tasty food, reducing my colourful diet to the plain boiled vegetables (carrots, cabbage - whatever I can find in my veg garden) in rice porriage (rice with lots of water)and loads of fresh fruit. This is to not put more pressure on my already compromised body to enable it to fight out the virus quickly and efficiently. On top of that, lots and lots of filtered water, and of course, plus endless trips to the toilet!!